County roads and Village streets that made up the original 1950 Elkhart
Lake Race Course and 1951/52 Course still exist and are in public use
today. The only exception is a short 500 yard section of South Lake Street
that has been converted into a pedestrian walkway in front of the Osthoff
Resort. For years sports car enthusiasts and racing history fans have
toured the circuits on an informal basis and in recent year organized
police escorted tours have been held in on the circuits in conjunction
with special events such as the July Vintage Race Festival. Although the
walkway is officially a village street and constructed of materials
capable of baring vehicular traffic, it had never been used for circuit
tours until 2006 when the Village granted permission for the Dedication
Ceremony celebration tour. Tours usually started on the south side of the
walkway and finished on the north side without actually crossing the
|The 1952 Comet Special of David Rex
leads the Tojeiro Aston Martin of John Constable on the Lake Street
||The (Phil Hill) Jaguar C-type owned
by Gary Bartlett is followed by the Cadillac Allard of Tom Porter
crossing the Lake Street Walkway.
For the once in a lifetime 60th Anniversary Celebration
of the original races, the Village again granted special permission for
reenactment vehicles to traverse the walkway with their cars so as to
experience the whole original course.
VSCDA cars displayed on Lake Street, prior to the
start of the Reenactment.
Bugattis from Road America lined up on South Lake
Street waiting to enter the Walkway.
Over eighty sports cars and racing cars lined up for the
5:30 PM start of the Reenactment. Over fifty cars from the Car Show event
where staged on the Walkway and nearly thirty VSCDA cars were escorted
from Road America and staged on South Lake Street.
the 60th Anniversary Reenactment Tour more authentic than any
previous tour, one hundred straw bales were place at the major corners
with corner workers on hand baring period wooden "flags" that had actually
been used in the original races. Of course they were also well armed with
cameras as this was a photographers dream come true.
Traffic control insured that the reenactment vehicles would be able to
complete the symbolic lap of the course safely and without interruption
The Fond du Lac Ham Radio Club provided corner communication, as was done
in the original races
|The Healey Silverstone of Bob
Seymour turns onto CTH A and heads down into Hamill's Hollow.
||John Fitch, Grand Marshall for the
Reenactment, leads the cars across the Walkway at the start..
As the starter waved a
green flag, Elkhart Lake Police Chief Randy Boeldt led the open Mercedes
parade car with Grand Marshal John Fitch off from the Walkway followed by
the participants on rapid, non-stop tour of both the 1951-52 circuit and
the original 1950 circuit.
Jim Fuchs driving a Ferrari 166 MM gives thumbs
up to the flag man as he and daughter Charlene cross the 1951-52
The cars were cheered
on by numerous spectators as they traversed the course. As the cars
approached the original 1951/52 finish line at the old feed mill they each
received the checkered flag waved by an energetic flagman
The last car in the
tour (the sweep car), a 1951 Chevy sedan driven by Village President Alan
Rudnick stalled on the course but was quickly rescued due to the quick
communications provided by the Fond du Lac ham radio club.
After all cars had
returned safely, the VSCDA race cars were police escorted back to Road
America, the Car Show cars returned to the Osthoff lawn where, downing a
quick Schlitz or two, everyone celebrated the success of a great event
A Special Thank You to
Sponsor of the 2010
60th Anniversary Road Course Reenactment
North Green Bay Avenue, Milwaukee